Red 5 Comics is a new publisher of both in-house and creator-owned comics. Our exciting future plans will be fueled by working with great professional-level talent — both established and undiscovered. If you would like to work with us, please carefully review the following submission guidelines.
Due to the number of submissions, we will respond only if we wish to hire you. If we like your work, but do not have an immediate spot for you, your submission will be kept on file and will be automatically considered for upcoming projects. Only electronic submissions through the forms below will be accepted.
Red 5 is looking for talented freelance pencillers, inkers, colorists and letterers.
Your submission should include at least five (5) pages of your best sequential storytelling art, not just sketches or pin-ups. These pages should demonstrate an ability to handle a variety of scenes, technology, backgrounds and characters… ranging from quiet dialog to intense action.
Initially, we want to see your work online. If you do not have your own website, there are a number of free image hosting services like Flickr, DeviantArt, PhotoBucket and others. If your portfolio requires a password, be sure to note what it is.
- Pencillers, your portfolio should show pencils-only, not inked or colored pages. Make sure the scans are of good enough quality to clearly see your work.
- Inkers, your examples should be black-and-white and include side-by-side comparison with the original pencils.
- Colorists, your portfolio should be based on line-art from multiple artists and show your abilities in a variety of styles.
We do not have standardized pages rates. If we want to work with you, we will discuss financials at that time. Please consider before applying that Red 5 Comics is an independent start-up, with all the advantages and disadvantages that brings.
While Red 5 Comics is not actively looking for staff writers, we are looking for proposals from established, professional writers from the comics, television or motion picture fields. If that’s you, please fill out Red 5’s “creator owned” submission form below.
Red 5 Comics is always open to looking at quality creator-owned projects for publication. A creator-owned project is one where you and your team deliver print-ready pages, and Red 5 Comics looks after marketing, printing, distribution and related activity. The comic is published and there is a profit-split. You and your team retain full rights to the intellectual property.
Before you send us a proposal, your project must already have a full creative team committed and on-board, including a writer, penciller, inker, colorist (if color), and letterer. We cannot assist you in putting your team together.
Your project proposal must contain all of the following…
- a web link to a document (pdf, Word, rtf, html, Google doc) made up of…
- a single-page cover letter introducing yourself and your project (including the title, overall concept, creative team attached, and status of production) and contact information. This might be the only page we read, so this should have your best “hook”.
- a creative team section with a single paragraph introducing each member of the creative team, including their credits and work history in comics and related fields
- a one-or-two page outline of the major events of the entire story from beginning to end. (Yes, the end. Spoil us!)
- the script for the first issue or whole series, if completed
- a web link to at least five inked and lettered pages (colored, if applicable and available)
Red 5 Comics is interested only in projects that are G, PG or PG-13 in nature. We will not accept R-rated proposals. We are also not looking for costumed superhero stories at this time.
Your proposal should show a level of professionalism that gives us confidence that your project will be completed on-time and with excellence. Please do not submit project proposals currently in consideration with another publisher.
If you do not have web space, there are a number of free file-sharing services, or you can upload files to the Red 5 Comics Google group. If your files require a password, please include that information with your posting.
If we are interested in hearing more about your project, we will contact you. We cannot guarantee a response for proposals that do not meet our requirements, sorry.
By submitting any idea, story line, script, artwork, or any other content material to Red 5 Comics, by way of email, online form or physical submission, you agree to the following conditions.
- You understand and acknowledge that Red 5 Comics may have developed, be currently developing or may independently develop similar artwork, sketches, concepts, designs, themes, characters, plots and/or ideas. Red 5 Comics may have received or may someday receive from others similar material. Any similarity between your submission and any materials in development or independently developed hereafter by Red 5 Comics shall be coincidental.
Red 5 Comics has no liability for similarities between your submission and possible future products or properties.
- Red 5 Comics has no obligation with respect to the material submitted, other than to make a reasonable effort to advise you as to our interest or lack of interest in acquiring rights to the material.
- You warrant that you are the sole owner, creator, inventor and author of the material submitted, and that you have full right and authorization to submit the material.
Thank you for your interest in Red 5 Comics. We look forward to hearing from you.